Oh Baby! Fitness has had the privilege of working with thousands of pregnant women and new moms. Based on this extensive experience, along with expert advice and review of the best available research, we believe:
1. Pre- and postnatal EXERCISE IS IMPORTANT.
a. We believe exercise during pregnancy creates easier labors, healthier babies, and happier new moms.
b. We listen to the latest studies about perinatal exercise, share them with our clients and instructors, and build our programming based on their recommendations.
c. We encourage women to get in the best shape of their lives during pregnancy.
2. Pre- and postnatal EXERCISE IS SAFE.
a. We believe in following the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ (ACOG) guidelines for safe exercise before, during, and after pregnancy.
b. We listen to clients’ physical concerns and modify exercises so that everyone has a safe workout experience.
c. We encourage proper exercise form and the appropriate modifications in all of our classes.
3. Pre- and postnatal EXERCISE BUILDS CONFIDENCE.
a. We believe in preparing women for the experience of motherhood by fostering supportive communities and close relationships among our clients.
b. We listen to our clients’ fears, concerns, worries, and joys as they make the transition into motherhood.
c. We encourage instructors to facilitate introductions and discussion in every class but caution them against giving any advice, criticism, or a specific “birth” agenda.
Based on these beliefs, we have designed our classes and programs to adhere to these basic tenets:
- All clients are able to talk comfortably throughout the entire workout.
- All classes will allow time in which clients introduce themselves and share a bit about their pregnancy/baby.
- All clients will stop exercising if in pain.
- All classes will provide ample time and verbal cues for proper hydration.
- All classes will have a thorough warm up.
- All clients will have a signed medical consent and will follow the recommendation of their doctor.
- All instructors will remind clients to listen to their bodies and communicate any discomfort, pain, or unease during exercise.
- All classes will challenge clients to work out at a level that is safe and appropriate.
- All classes focus on the mother; the mom is the client, not the baby.
- All classes will teach clients the proper way to do Kegel exercises and modified abdominal exercises.